Birth Certificate and Naturalization Document Name Issues

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Birth Certificate and Naturalization Document Name Issues

Postby skamen » Thu May 22, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi,

I am nearing the end of my work of getting all of my documents together. I have just sent of my birth and marriage certificates to receive an apostille from the Ohio Secretary of State. I spoke with a person from the Detroit consulate a while ago about the copies of documents I had sent to her to review. The main hurdle that I will have remaining is the issue of my grandfather's and greatgrandfather's names. On my greatgradfather's birth certificate his name is Stefano Parisi. This is also his listed name on his U.S. naturalization document. Unfortunately, he listed his son's name (my grandfather) as Giuseppe Parisi on this document even though my grandfather's own birth certificate lists his name is Joseph Parry (the Anglicized version of the surname the family started to use). The birth certificate of my grandfather also lists my his father with the Anglicized version of Steven Parry. I was told by the person whom I spoke with at the Detroit consulate that this is not a "legal" name for my grandfather because he would have to inherently inherit the surname of Parisi, which was legally my greatgrandfather's name at the time.

What will I need to do to make my documents work for the consulate despite this inconsistency? It seems like there are numerous facts that support my argument that Joseph Parry and Giusepe Parisi are the same person. The birthdate being exactly the same on his birth certificate and my greatgrandfather's birthcertificate being one. It would seem like the argument is also strengthened by the name of my greatgrandmother, Concetta Parisi, whose name appears as the wife of my greatgrandfather on their marriage certificate, his naturalization document and as the mother on my grandfather's birth certificate.

The person whom I spoke with said that first names are not so much of an issue but that the inconsistency in the surname may create a problem. She mentioned some sort of a legal process that I might have to go through in order to have it ruled that Giuseppe Parisi and Joseph Parry are in fact the same person. Do you know what this might be? Do you have any suggestions for me? I am so close to making this happen that I am really dreading running into a huge hurdle with this issue.

Many thanks in advance for all your help,

-Scott
skamen

Postby skamen » Mon May 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Essentially what I'm trying to figure out is where I would go to if there is an issue of the last names Parry/Parisi. Would I go to a notary in Ohio and have them certify/affirm in some way that based on the documents Giuseppe Parisi and Joseph Parry are in fact the same person? Would the notary have to be in Ohio because the documents are from Ohio or could I use a notary where I live in Michigan? I'm very ignorant when it comes to notaries and how they work.

Thanks,

-Scott
skamen

Re: Birth Certificate and Naturalization Document Name Issue

Postby peggymckee » Mon May 26, 2008 4:02 pm

skamen wrote:She mentioned some sort of a legal process that I might have to go through in order to have it ruled that Giuseppe Parisi and Joseph Parry are in fact the same person. Do you know what this might be? Do you have any suggestions for me?
You yourself (or an older relative) could simply write a statement that GP & JP are the same person and have it notarized and apostilled. In fact, just in the last few days someone posted a sample of such a statement (also called a affidavit).

But...I have no idea if this is what the Consulate was describing. The words "legal process" and "ruled" suggest a court proceeding--though I'm not sure what that would be. My suggestion is: take your documents, go to Detroit and have them explain clearly of what is needed. Good luck and let us know what happens! Peg
peggymckee

Postby skamen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks for the help! An affidavit was what the person at the consulate was referring to. What should I have the relative put as the statement? Do you think this would work:

I affirm that Joseph Parry and Giuseppe Parisi are the same person. I also affirm that Steven Parry and Stefano Parisi are the same person.

-Signed by relative

Is this the sort of wording you think would work? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Scott
skamen

Postby peggymckee » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:01 am

Hi Skaman,
If I understand you correctly, you haven't yet had your citizenship appointment--rather the Consulate is doing a pre-appt review. If you search the board you will find some sample affidavits posted relatively recently. However, you need to be sure that the affidavit you write meets the Consulate's concerns. If you aren't sure what they are, talk to them again. BTW, you are extremely lucky to have an Consulate that will do a review and answer questions! All the best, Peg
peggymckee

Postby skamen » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks so much for all of the help! I've written the person whom I've been in contact with via email (they're easier to get a hold of via email than telephone) to take a look at the affidavit statement of:

"I affirm that Joseph Parry and Giuseppe Parisi are the same person. I also affirm that Steven Parry and Stefano Parisi are the same person."

I'm still waiting for a response from the consulate. In general does this statement look alright to you?

Also, does it matter who writes the affidavit? Can it be written by anyone who knows the statement to be true and is willing to testify as such? For example, could my father (who knows both of these statements to be true) write the affidavit and have it notarized or would it be better for my grandfather (Joseph Parry) to write the affidavit?

Thanks yet again,

-Scott
skamen

Postby kev110382 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:43 pm

Skamen, please post an update when you find out what the deal is with your name problem.
I've run into a similar problem with my wife's grandmother's birth cert having obvious anglicized and misspelled names for her parents. I guess misspellings are super easy to fix but anglicized names are almost impossible.

I hope a simple affidavit will suffice. Let us know!
kev110382

Postby skamen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:50 pm

I received the usual brief and incomplete answer back from the Detroit consulate about the affidavit. The person responding to my affidavit proposal didn't let me know if what I wrote looked alright but did let me know that I should include the parent's names and the birth dates of the individuals in question. I sent this statement to the person at the consulate to look at:

"I affirm that Stefano Parisi was born on July 31st, 1885, and that he and Steven Parry are in fact the same person. I also affirm that Joseph Parry, son of Stefano Parisi (Steven Parry) and Concetta Parisi, was born November 7th, 1925 and the he and Giuseppe Parisi are in fact the same person. In the case of documental references, any discrepancies between the names Stefano Parisi and Steven Parry should be ignored as the two names refer to the same person. Similarly, any discrepancies between the names of Joseph Parry and Giuseppe Parisi should also be ignored as the two names refer to the same person. "

How does this statement sound to you? I sent a copy of my revised statement to the consulate but I probably won't get a thorough answer anytime soon so I wanted to get some opinions on the statement before I have my grandfather get this affidavit notarized.

Thanks again,

-Scott
skamen

Postby skamen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm not very familiar with how affidavits work. Does anyone know how they work in regards to who makes the statement and signs for the affidavit? In my example, is it alright that my grandpa makes the statement and signs it even though he is one of the parties involved in the statement or is it preferable that the person making the statement is not mentioned in the statement?

Thanks again,

-Scott
skamen

Return to Documents