Qualification!

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Qualification!

Postby pietrog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:27 am

Yes ! Like everyone else on this site I am curious if my situation will allow me to apply for citizenship.

My Grandparents of both my mother and father were born in Italy. Both of my parents were born in the US: Dad-1925 & Mom-1927. My Grandfather on my fathers side was Naturalized after my fathers birth, but before I was born. My Grandfather on my mothers side was not Naturalized.

Which ancestor would I be able to apply for citizenship through.

Best Regards,
P
pietrog

Postby whymse » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:37 am

If you were born after 01/01/1948 then you can use your mother or your father. If you were born before that then you can only use your father's side.

If you are lucky enough to be able to use either side then I would go with whichever is easier to get the records for or whichever has fewer discrepancies.
whymse

Postby David_ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:37 am

Sounds like both of them, granted that you were born on or after 1948. Otherwise, only father.

Edit: Jinxed again.
David_

Postby pietrog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:46 am

Well looks like I am in luck I was born in 1960. Does the fact that my fathers dad appears to be Naturalized on the 1930 Census factor into being able to use my dads side of the family. Additionally, does my moms birthdate have any bearing?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

-P
pietrog

Postby David_ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:50 am

pietrog wrote:Well looks like I am in luck I was born in 1960. Does the fact that my fathers dad appears to be Naturalized on the 1930 Census factor into being able to use my dads side of the family. Additionally, does my moms birthdate have any bearing?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

-P

Only if he naturalized before your father was born. Your mother's birthday is irrelevant.
David_

Postby whymse » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:00 am

Given that you know the naturalization was after the birth of your father, you may want to use that line. For your mother's side you'll have to gather more documents to prove the negative case (never naturalized) and as you can tell from all the posts on the subject it's a long and painful process.
If you have copies of your paternal grandfather's naturalization you can use the data on it to make a request for a new certified copy of the document.
whymse

Postby David_ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:03 am

whymse wrote:Given that you know the naturalization was after the birth of your father, you may want to use that line. For your mother's side you'll have to gather more documents to prove the negative case (never naturalized) and as you can tell from all the posts on the subject it's a long and painful process.
If you have copies of your paternal grandfather's naturalization you can use the data on it to make a request for a new certified copy of the document.

Very wise advice. I concur.
David_

Postby pietrog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:30 am

Well the process begins!

I donot have my grandfathers Natiralization paperwork confirming the date. What is the quickest way to get a copy of his Naturalization paperwork or at least confirm the date.

Thank you for all of the responses - I am thrilled to be taking steps towards citizenship.

-P
pietrog

Postby matta » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 am

pietrog wrote:Well the process begins!

I donot have my grandfathers Natiralization paperwork confirming the date. What is the quickest way to get a copy of his Naturalization paperwork or at least confirm the date.

Thank you for all of the responses - I am thrilled to be taking steps towards citizenship.

-P

There are many, in depth posts in the document and naturalization sections.
matta

Postby pietrog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 am

If my grandfather was Naturalized before the birth of my father would this negate using this path for citizenship?

Does US Naturalization break the Italian citizenship line?

-P
pietrog

Postby matta » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:45 am

pietrog wrote:If my grandfather was Naturalized before the birth of my father would this negate using this path for citizenship?

Does US Naturalization break the Italian citizenship line?

-P

Before 1992, yes.
matta

Postby zagnut » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:10 pm

matta wrote:

-P

Tantrum? David? Where art thou?
zagnut

Postby zagnut » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:22 pm

matta wrote:

-P

zagnut

Postby zagnut » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:22 pm

matta wrote:

-P

zagnut

Postby matta » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 pm

zagnut wrote:

What? People ask this question every day or so, and it get's tiring writing the same thing over and over.

To the OP: For examples of answers,

See here: http://www.icgsmb.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2997

or here: http://www.icgsmb.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2177

or here: http://www.icgsmb.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3069

Maybe we should pick a "best' answer and sticky it.
matta

Next

Return to Qualifying