Certified Letter of Non-Existence of Naturalization

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Certified Letter of Non-Existence of Naturalization

Postby matta » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:28 pm

FYI - according to what was posted over on expattalk, it appears that DC no longer issues certified letters of non-existence. The FOIA/PA unit in Lee's Summit now does it.

So, once you get your G-1041 or G-639 reply indicating that no C-file exists (generally they only come back with an A-file), you can fax a letter indicating the names and dates you want on the non-existence letter to:

816-350-5785

or mail a request to:

National Records Center
FOIA/PA Office
PO Box 648010
Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010

Although I also sent a letter to the address listed in the G-1041 response:

US Citizenship and Immigration Services
ATTN: Records Operations Branch
111 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, 4th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20529

And for the record, I also sent letters to the previously listed addresses they've used:

BCIS/HQORM,
Records Service Branch
4th Floor, Ullico Building
111 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington D.C. 20536

US Citizenship and Immigration Services
425 I Street NW
2nd Floor - ULLICO Bldg
Washington, D.C. 20536
matta

Postby charlie7 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:01 am

Good work Matta! Yesterday's mail had for me three letters from USCIS in Lee's Summit returning the checks that I had sent to D.C. and telling me that they were being forwarded to the correct office for evaluation. I guess something is happening. So to sum up, the request for a record of non-existence that I sent in July 2008 to D.C. was processed and sent to me and I have in my hands. The ones that I sent to slightly different addresses in D.C. in August 2008 have been sent to Lees Summit for processing (not that I need them now.) They give a phone # of (816) 350-5570 and fax of (816) 350-5785. I hope this information helps those of you trying to navigate this frustrating process.
charlie7

Re: Certified Letter of Non-Existence of Naturalization

Postby Michele » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:21 pm

[quote="matta"]FYI - according to what was posted over on expattalk, it appears that DC no longer issues certified letters of non-existence. The FOIA/PA unit in Lee's Summit now does it.

So, once you get your G-1041 or G-639 reply indicating that no C-file exists (generally they only come back with an A-file), you can fax a letter indicating the names and dates you want on the non-existence letter to:

816-350-5785

or mail a request to:

National Records Center
FOIA/PA Office
PO Box 648010
Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010

Excuse me for being dense here please Matta but when you say "fax a letter indicating the names and dates you want on the non existance letter", what does that mean? What dates and what names? Do I just write a letter and say please give me a letter that says that Pinocchio Garibaldi came to the US in 1911 and according to our records he never became a citizen?
Michele

Re: Certified Letter of Non-Existence of Naturalization

Postby matta » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Pretty much, yes.

I sent the same cover letter that I sent with my G-1041 / G-639 / County Request that indicated the potential names of the person to be searched (i.e. Pinocchio Garibaldi AKA Peter Garibaldi) and the possible birth dates (i.e. June 15, 1891 or June 16,1891).

Other things in my cover letter: name, birth date, birth place, country of citizenship, date of immigration, place of arrival, name of ship, place of residence, place of death, date of death, spouse's name, date of marriage, place of marriage, children's names.
matta

Postby Michele » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:33 pm

Grazie amico mio.

Ciao,

Michele
Michele

Postby sirnim » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Hello,

Today I just received a letter back from Lee's Summit. I was looking for a Certified Letter of Non-Existence of Naturalization, and I had already performed the fee-based USCIS Genealogy search, which only returned a ship manifest entry to me. I included a copy of this letter in my request to Lee's Summit.

Anyway, today, Lee's Summit sent me my request back, along with the Genealogy letter I had included, and told me to do another Genealogy search for $20.

Does Lee's Summit do the Certified Letter of Non-Existence of Naturalization anymore, or is it the Washington, DC address?

Who should I call to figure this out? What phone number should I call?
sirnim

Postby zagnut » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:26 pm

You could try Lee's Summit (816) 350-5570. These people don't sound like they've got their act together.
zagnut

Postby valentinaroan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:32 pm

My Dad just got the same response as sirnim; his request from Lee's Summit was rejected, telling him to do another Records Request. I think he's going to try the 111 Massachusetts Ave. address now, as well as calling Lee's Summit to see what's up.
valentinaroan

Postby sirnim » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:24 pm

valentinaroan wrote:My Dad just got the same response as sirnim; his request from Lee's Summit was rejected, telling him to do another Records Request. I think he's going to try the 111 Massachusetts Ave. address now, as well as calling Lee's Summit to see what's up.
Let us know what response your Dad gets when he gives them a phone call.
sirnim

1041 Certificates of Nonexistence

Postby CPA21 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:47 pm

I received my no record found letter from the geneaology program in September. The letter told me to request certificate of nonexistence from the Massachusetts Avenue address. I submitted two requests with the letter, one to Lees Summit and one to The address in the letter.

The request to Lee's Summit was returned. I called Lee's Summit to ask what was going on. The explanation provided was that the FOIA (G639) certificates of nonexistence come from Lees Summit but the Geneaology (1041 ) requests go to the Geneaology program. I am waiting for a certificate of nonexistence from Massachusetts Avenue.

I was able to submit a FOIA request before the deadline, my third on this ancestor. The consulate is asking for an extended certificate of nonexistence to cover variations in the spelling of the name. When I check in with Lees Summit they know that I am looking for a certificate of nonexistence and will provide one at the end of this search without requiring further correspondence. Of course, this late in the process, I send documentation to support the nonexistence.
CPA21

Re: 1041 Certificates of Nonexistence

Postby matta » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 pm

CPA21 wrote:I received my no record found letter from the geneaology program in September. The letter told me to request certificate of nonexistence from the Massachusetts Avenue address. I submitted two requests with the letter, one to Lees Summit and one to The address in the letter.

The request to Lee's Summit was returned. I called Lee's Summit to ask what was going on. The explanation provided was that the FOIA (G639) certificates of nonexistence come from Lees Summit but the Geneaology (1041 ) requests go to the Geneaology program. I am waiting for a certificate of nonexistence from Massachusetts Avenue.

I was able to submit a FOIA request before the deadline, my third on this ancestor. The consulate is asking for an extended certificate of nonexistence to cover variations in the spelling of the name. When I check in with Lees Summit they know that I am looking for a certificate of nonexistence and will provide one at the end of this search without requiring further correspondence. Of course, this late in the process, I send documentation to support the nonexistence.

I sent Lee's Summit 2 letters and faxed one in in mid-September, and haven't received anything back from them (or from DC).
matta

Confused about the Cert of Nonexistence of Record I received

Postby leighcowden » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:26 am

Hello everyone, and phew, thanks so much for this message board!! What an invaluable resource. Here's my situation:

I sent an FOI request out a couple of months ago and then forgot about it, hearing it would take over a year to get back. Wonder of wonders, in the mail the other day, less than two months later, I get two papers, stapled together. One is a letter saying "attached is a Certificate of Nonexistence of Record relating to the following subject, File Number N/A, Subject [insert name of my great grandfather here]. As director of National Records Center I am duly authorized to make such certification and to delegate such authority in my absence." Then the second page says "Certificate of Nonexistence of Record [insert name of my great grandfather here]...I, ... certify to the following: (in summary) 1. I'm a director, 2. the USCIS maintains these records 3. I performed a search of DACS, CLAIMS, and CIS, 4. after a diligent search, no record was found to exist for the subject below [then my great grandfather's name, birthday, and birthplace].

Do I have what I need to apply for citizenship in Miami? Or some other consulate like Boston? Seriously, I will move so I can go to a consulate that is more likely to accept my documents.

The 1920 census shows my ggranfather was living in NY and under citizenship status it says "Un" (as in unknown?) and year of naturalization it is blank.

Does anyone have info on what I have or do not have here? Or what I need to do next? The message boards say something about sending this letter somewhere else to get another letter, but I think I have the letter I need from reading it...sorry, I'm confused.
leighcowden

Postby zagnut » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:37 pm

leighcowden, was yours an FOIA request (G-639) or Genealogical request (form 1041)?

Sounds like you've got the required paperwork the consulate wants to see. :D
zagnut

Not sure which one it was!

Postby leighcowden » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:04 pm

I don't think it was a geneology one. I didn't remember seeing that on the form. I think it was the newer form. I can't find my copy that I made to be certain.
leighcowden

Re: Not sure which one it was!

Postby jlg » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:16 pm

leighcowden wrote:I don't think it was a geneology one. I didn't remember seeing that on the form. I think it was the newer form. I can't find my copy that I made to be certain.

Your statement is contradictory, the genealogy form IS the newer form. Where did you send the form? Chicago, Missouri, of DC?

-jlg
jlg

Next

Return to Naturalization