Do I Qualify? - Australian

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Do I Qualify? - Australian

Postby Aussie34 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:50 am

Hi,
I have read the information and found it very useful. I believe that I qualify but would like a second opinion.

Facts:

My grandmother was born in Italy in March 1923.

She immigrated to Victoria, Australia, in 1951.

My father was born in April 1956. My father has never applied by Italian Citizenship.

My grandmother became a naturalised Australian citizen in August 1958. This was two years after my father was born.

I was born in 1984 in Australia.

On my reading, I qualify under Category 4. I assume that citizenship is acquired by birth in Australia. Is that correct?
Thanks.
Aussie34

Postby vince » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 am

Yes congrats you do qualify, i am in a verysimilar situation to you but i am under the impression the my grandparents were naturalised before my dad was born still checkin dates though, the dates are very similar my dad born in the same year, state etc! also byou just avoided the 1948 rule by 3 years.
vince

Postby Aussie34 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:05 am

vince wrote:Yes congrats you do qualify, i am in a verysimilar situation to you but i am under the impression the my grandparents were naturalised before my dad was born still checkin dates though, the dates are very similar my dad born in the same year, state etc! also byou just avoided the 1948 rule by 3 years.

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean that I missed the 1948 rule by three years?

My impression (and I may be wrong) was that my father had to born after 1 Jan. 1948?

I assume it does not matter that my father has not applied for Italian Citizenship?

What do I do now?

I don't have all the documents but the Melbourne (Victoria) Consulate website says to book an appointment with a citizenship officer before obtaining all of the doc's.
Aussie34

Postby Aussie34 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:15 am

vince wrote:Yes congrats you do qualify, i am in a verysimilar situation to you but i am under the impression the my grandparents were naturalised before my dad was born still checkin dates though, the dates are very similar my dad born in the same year, state etc! also byou just avoided the 1948 rule by 3 years.

I was also under the impression that my grandmother naturalised before my father born. In fact, she told me that. But after I got her nat. papers, it was confirmed to be after.

I guess the moral of the story is to check via the formal documents.
Aussie34

Postby dannie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:45 am

Aussie34 wrote:
I don't have all the documents but the Melbourne (Victoria) Consulate website says to book an appointment with a citizenship officer before obtaining all of the doc's.

Well I know the reason they like you to do this in Sydney is because they like to qualify you first. The other reason is because it can take a long time to get an appointment but I don't think the wait time in Melbourne is too long. However you would need all the documents to support your claim before they could qualify you anyway. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call/email and check how long the wait time for an appointment is, my Aunty will be going for an appointment at the Melbourne Consulate shortly too, but she hasn't told me whether or not she has actually called to book yet so I couldn't help you on that one.

But yeah, my thoughts are that there is no point in going in until you have all your documents first.
dannie

Postby Aussie34 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:38 am

dannie wrote:
Aussie34 wrote:

Well I know the reason they like you to do this in Sydney is because they like to qualify you first. The other reason is because it can take a long time to get an appointment but I don't think the wait time in Melbourne is too long. However you would need all the documents to support your claim before they could qualify you anyway. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call/email and check how long the wait time for an appointment is, my Aunty will be going for an appointment at the Melbourne Consulate shortly too, but she hasn't told me whether or not she has actually called to book yet so I couldn't help you on that one.

But yeah, my thoughts are that there is no point in going in until you have all your documents first.

I intend to organise an appointment and, in the meantime, locate as many documents as possible from my grandmother.

Thanks for your help. Any other tips would be much appreciated.
Aussie34

Postby Aussie34 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:42 am

Further to the above, I have a younger sister and brother (they are under 10). Does the process differ for minors?
Aussie34

Postby dannie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:45 am

yeah it is. they will have to apply under your father.
dannie

Postby Tiffany » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Aussie34 wrote:What do you mean that I missed the 1948 rule by three years?

My impression (and I may be wrong) was that my father had to born after 1 Jan. 1948?

You are correct. vince likely just misread the date of your fathers birth as 1951, the date on the line before. Your father was born 8 years after the new citizenship law passed allowing children to derive citizenship from their Italian mothers.
Tiffany

Postby Aussie34 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:57 pm

Tiffany wrote:
Aussie34 wrote:What do you mean that I missed the 1948 rule by three years?

You are correct. vince likely just misread the date of your fathers birth as 1951, the date on the line before. Your father was born 8 years after the new citizenship law passed allowing children to derive citizenship from their Italian mothers.

You seem to be quite experienced in relation to these issues. I make this assumption based on your previous posts and your post count.

In light of my facts, do you believe that I will encounter many problems meeting the criteria?

I rang the Melbourne Consulate today and they indicated that I had to attend in person to make an appointment. They also advised that an appointment is likely to be next year!
Aussie34

Postby dannie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:22 pm

You'll be fine, your dates/circumstances and everything are exactly the same as mine.

Thanks for the update on the Melbourne appointments, I'll pass that on.
dannie

Postby Aussie34 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:35 pm

dannie wrote:You'll be fine, your dates/circumstances and everything are exactly the same as mine.

early next year.

I will attend the consulate and let you know what date I get.
Aussie34

Postby Tiffany » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:43 pm

No, I do not believe you will encounter any problems. Good luck!
Tiffany

Postby Aussie34 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:01 pm

dannie wrote:You'll be fine, your dates/circumstances and everything are exactly the same as mine.

FYI - I got an appointment for early March 2009.
Aussie34

Postby dannie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Wow. Was that the earliest they could do?!
dannie

Next

Return to Qualifying