visa appointment- HELP!!!

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

visa appointment- HELP!!!

Postby corrado » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:08 am

My daughter had an appointment yesterday at the chicago consulate for a student visa, she didn't have a bank statement with her, so they sent her away in tears. It seems that it impossable to get an appointment before she is supposed to be in Italy, any sugestions> :x
corrado

Postby Larry » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:33 am

Could be a problem... In 2004/2005 when I studied abroad (and before I realized I was an Italian Citizen) the Boston Consulate was terrible at giving out student visas. One needed to have an appointment (9:00Am-12:00PM) but they would only take a handful of people a day. That is to say, you may have had an appointment but still not get in for your interview. As the beginning of the semester approached, kids were sleeping on the street outside the consulate just to keep their spot in line. What ended up happening was some parent got BS and called the local TV news. They had a crew out there filming the kids on the street and then the reporter went into the building to try to get an interview. They did not get much of an interview, but soon there after it was not hard to get a student visa...

I think I had to show my student visa to my University for them to fully enroll me in the program, but if her school is not asking for a copy, she could easily get through customs as a tourist. She may (I am not sure) even be able to get a visa in Italy after her landlord turns in her papers to the police saying that she is legally residing in his/her appartment. Once this is done, I believe she would no longer be under the juristdiction of Chicago, but rather whichever comune she is living in. Hopefully someone else would know for sure or be able to offer another suggestion. Best of luck.
Larry

Postby jlg » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Remember a lot of times in Italy you need an appointment for the initial contact, if they send you away because you are missing something, you just return and cut the line to give them the missing thing.

This is a VISA, a temporary thing, not like citizenship where a little exception would be construed as giving someone a lifetime of privileges, a much bigger deal.

Do not make another VISA appointment, just show up the ASAP with the missing bank statement and *play dumb*. Do not sound entitled, just humble and when they yell at you: calmly, let them yell at you, and when they are done, look at the clerk with the saddest of eyes and say "Here is my document that you asked for, I am just doing what 'the other clerk'/you told me to do. Can I please have my Visa?"

If she is going in January, she needs to try this immediately and if it does not work she needs to get in contact with her US university office who can sometimes get it done for them.

-JLG
jlg

Postby corrado » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:36 pm

that sounds like the way to go thanks
corrado

Postby JM » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:05 am

Do not sound entitled, just humble and when they yell at you: calmly, let them yell at you, and when they are done, look at the clerk with the saddest of eyes and say "Here is my document that you asked for, I am just doing what 'the other clerk'/you told me to do. Can I please have my Visa?"

This is good advice. I applied for my dual citizenship in Miami. Almost of of my documents were from NY. A few days before my Miami appt I was in NY for family reasons. Since I was going to by in the NY consulate area, I contacted them ahead of time and made an appt to meet with them during my 4 days stay in NY. The woman I made the appt with was out that day and I got someone else who was furious at my request to have her "sign off" on my NY documents. She yelled out load in front of everyone for several minutes. She refused to do them at first and would not have done them if I didn't have an extra large helping of 'Humble Pie".

I also kept repeating that I was just doing what the other lady said I could do. I did finally get them all done, but not without her snapping at me as she handed them to me. My cousin, who lives in NY was with me and she was furious at the treatment. She was more mad at me for not standing up for myself. I told her I had come to far to let a woman in NY that I was never going to see again stand in my way.

I hope all goes well for your daughter. Remind her that while it may all go very smoothly for her, if it doesn't and she hears some flack from the consulate, in the long run it is best for her to just roll with it and get the VISA.

Good luck
JM
JM

she got the visa

Postby corrado » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:20 pm

It turns out that they send people away quite often for not having the correct docuemnts.... what a supprise, they are very unclear on what they want or we are very stupid. Well if you go there, there are people who don't show up for their appointmets and then they take you , its sort of like flying stand-by. After they insult you a little they they give you the visa. Its funny there was a girl down there for her fouth attempt to get the visa. Nothing should be this difficult.
corrado

Re: she got the visa

Postby matta » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:22 am

corrado wrote: After they insult you a little they they give you the visa. Its funny there was a girl down there for her fouth attempt to get the visa. Nothing should be this difficult.

It's often easier for them to turn someone away than to process the application, especially if they are severely backlogged.

It's a clear incentive incompatibility problem - they have no incentive to accept your application, and every incentive to not, so they will obviously tend towards not accepting it.

There's no benefit for the higher-ups to change the incentive-reward scheme (e.g. give bonuses based on the number of applications processed), because there's no accountability. Like going to the DMV, no matter how poorly they treat you, or how upset you become, you have 0 recourse against the consulate. You just have to take it.

That's the definition of bureaucracy, and an artifact of a monopolist system (if Delta Airlines treats you poorly, you can start flying United, but if the Italian consulate treats you poorly, what are you going to do? Go to France's consulate?)
matta

Postby zagnut » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:30 am

She may (I am not sure) even be able to get a visa in Italy after her landlord turns in her papers to the police saying that she is legally residing in his/her appartment.

No, visas are only available from an Italian consulate or embassy abroad, not in Italy.

The landlord registers a rental contract with Agenzia Entrate, not the police.

For visits less than 90 days, the entry stamp in your passport serves as a declaration of presence to the police. For longer stays, you need a permesso di soggiorno from the questura.
zagnut

Postby Esatto » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:49 am

Matta - Maybe you have in the long run a good idea to go to France where the treatment may be better than what I read comes from Italy these days!! Remember it is our hard earned money and why spend it where we are not appreciated!! Does anyone else get these vibes or am I the only one? :(
Esatto

Postby Larry » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:40 am

Thank you for clarifying, Zagnut. If Corrado's daughter can not get a student visa in time, do you think obtaining a PdS would allow her to stay and study? I agree with the other posters that being extra nice may pursuade the consulate to give her a visa, but it is not guaranteed. Just curious if there is another outlet for her if she does not receive it in time...

Esatto, I get that vibe as well when I am in Italy! Unlike the U.S. where many shops are owned by big corporations, in Italy there seems to be a large percentage of family owned businesses. I am always so surprised when I am made to feel that the shop owner is doing me a favor by allowng me to purchasing something from them... I understand in the U.S that the kid bagging my groceries could not care less if I buy from him or the other supermarket chain because he will still get his paycheck regardless. But in Italy where there are so many small family owned shops, I do not know why the attitude is often the same.

**Btw this is just my opinion. I have found a lot of store owners to be great, and they are the ones that ended up consistently getting my business**
I think we may be thread jacking a bit. Perhaps this conversation should be moved to a different thread if others want to continue discussing...
Larry

just glad it worked out

Postby corrado » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:13 am

you have to kind of expect a little jibe from the clerk, that is no big deal, its just that you have no idea that you can come back if things arn't accepteted. In a funny way it works, but we went though a lot of needless angst.
corrado

Postby CJC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:49 am

WOW! This all makes me feel pretty good that I got the consulate to eat some humble pie when I submitted my passport application and they tried to send me away. I elevated to the vice-consul and got them to take it.

Of course, it probably helped I had my letter in hand with their consular stamps all over it telling me since I'm an Italian living abroad that I had to have a valid passport. Nothing like their own communication to humble them I suppose. :|

I really hope Carrado's daughter gets this visa sorted out soon!

Viva bureaucracy! :roll:
CJC

Location: Northern California, USA (Applied at Philadelphia consulate)

Postby zagnut » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:33 pm

If Corrado's daughter can not get a student visa in time, do you think obtaining a PdS would allow her to stay and study?

No, she needs the visa in order to get the pds.
zagnut

to badk i don't have my non-existance letter yet

Postby corrado » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:38 pm

I had to send the paperwork back to lee's summit, they found a Anthony Corrado born in 1885 but it was someone else ( New Jersey) sheeesh, wrong birth date and wrong town that he was born in- if I had everyting ready perhaps she could have applied over there, but perhpas not as she will only be on a visa not a resident.
corrado

Return to Embassies and Consulates