I don't think I qualify, am I missing anything? :(

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

I don't think I qualify, am I missing anything? :(

Postby kimpdx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:18 pm

My situation:

My Maternal Grandfather was born and raised in Italy, served in it's military and moved over to America after WWII to marry my grandmother.

He became naturalized, (And I am assuming thereby renouncing his Italian Citizenship) in June of 1950.

My Mother was born in April of 1951.

My Maternal Grandmother was born in the United States in 1920. Her parents had immigrated to the United States, but I believe they were still Italian Citizens at the time of her birth (They were 7 months pregnant with her when they moved to the US).

Neither my Maternal Grandmother nor my mother ever renounced citizenship to Italy.

So by reading the rules, it appears that my mother could potentially become a dual citizen, but I could not. Have I understood this correctly?

EDIT: I have reread the step by step process at it looks like I may be able to become an italian citizen through category 10. What do you think?
kimpdx

Re: I don't think I qualify, am I missing anything? :(

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 pm

As you describe it, it appears that your maternal grandmother was an Italian citizen; the question is, when was your mother born?

According to Italian law, prior to January 1, 1948, Italian women could not pass citizenship to their children - citizenship was gained only through the father. So, if your mother was born after 1/1/1948, you may be good to go. However, if she was born prior to that date, I am sorry to say that that line is going to be a dead-end for you.
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby kimpdx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 pm

Yeah, she was born in April of 1951, that's why I'm thinking it might be a go! Now i just have to get all of the paperwork.:)
kimpdx

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:58 pm

I believe kimpdx said her (?) mother was born in April of 1951. If this is the case, her mother obtained Italian Citizenship from her mother (Kimpdx's maternal grandmother). Since kimpdx's Mother was born in the United States, it is highly unlikely that she ever renounced her Italian Citizenship, and therefore kimpdx was born to an Italian citizen. She qualifies in my opinion.

ALSO: If the maternal grandmother married before the maternal grandfather naturalized (in 1950), the grandmother would have automatically received Italian citizenship from her husband. This would also mean that kimpdx was born to an Italian citizen.
Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Ooops you replied to AnotherCitizentoBe as I was typing. I think you are good to go. Get cracking on obtaining your documents. Where do you live now? You should read through the forum as each consulate is unique in their requirements. Don't do more or less than you have to. Good luck and welcome :)
Larry

Postby David_ » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:21 pm

kimpdx wrote:So by reading the rules, it appears that my mother could potentially become a dual citizen, but I could not. Have I understood this correctly?

EDIT: I have reread the step by step process at it looks like I may be able to become an italian citizen through category 10. What do you think?

If you mother can become a citizen, which appears she can, you can also.
David_

Postby jcat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:00 am

Welcome aboard ! I believe as long as your mom was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, you were born after Jan. 1, 1948, you are in the ballpark. The question is, did your maternal grandmother become a citizen before giving birth to your mother ? if you are sure she did not become a citizen then I think you are golden. Do the homework and you will be amazed at what you will learn about your ancestors, yourself, and your god given right through blood to reconnect with your roots !
jcat

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 am

If the Grandmother was 7 months pregnant when she got here, I bet she did not naturalize in time for her daughter's birth. Unless of course they were one of the families that went back and forth to Italy in those days. In which case she may have naturalized prior to 1920. Doubtful, but a possibility. Jcat is absolutely correct, however. Once you obtain your documents the picture will become clear, and it is a fun journey learning about your ancestry.
Larry

Postby jcat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 am

let's see.... your great grandparents came to the US (not citizens)
your grandmother born in 1920 (still considered Italian citizen)
your mother born in 1951 (?? as to citizenship)
I think as long as your grandmother did not become a US citizen before 1951 (your mother's birth) you would be good to go.try the county clerks office where your grandmother resided and ask for any info in regards to a census report you could obtain, and be specific about your requesting this info, as being part of your applying for dual citizenship. Also, a Genealogy search at USCIS requesting naturalization records for your grandmother. hope this makes sense, if I'm understanding correctly...........
jcat

Postby zagnut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:48 pm

If grandmother was born in US, she would already have US citizenship jure soli, and would not naturalize. Looks like OP qualifies.
zagnut

Return to Qualifying