Qualifying: Father became dual Italian citizen 14 years ago

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Qualifying: Father became dual Italian citizen 14 years ago

Postby kellycares » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi all,
My father was born in the US in 1936 and became a dual Italian citizen 14 years ago through his Italian born paternal grandparents. His father was born in the US. Now, I would like to pursue dual citizenship. I was born in the US in 1959. I went to the consulate office in Newark, NJ and they told me that I can become a citizen fairly simply through my father and that my grown children (both born before my father's Italian citizenship was recognized) can apply as well. I am confused because my father was born here in the US as were his parents. I can seek citizenship through my great-grandparents but it seems to me that the connection is too distant for my kids. The consulate said that both my kids and I can use MY father's dual-citizenship, even though he was born in the US.
This is so confusing. Can anyone offer some insight?
Thanks.
kellycares

Re: Qualifying: Father became dual Italian citizen 14 years ago

Postby Tiffany » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:40 pm

You cannot qualify through anybody but your parent for Italian citizenship. This is a common misconception.

When your father applied for his citizen, he used his great-grandfather to prove the Italian citizenship was passed down from parent to child in an unbroken line. That means his parent (and your grandparent) was an Italian citizen at the time of his birth. This also means his grandparent and thus your great-grandparent was also a citizen.

Furthermore, there is no generational limit on Italian citizenship passed down jure sanguinis. You, right now, are an Italian citizen - just unrecognized. You were passed Italian citizenship by your father at birth. The birthplace of either of you has no bearing as Italian citizenship is only passed jure sanguinis anyway, not jus soli. Your kids are also Italian citizens because you passed it to them at birth.

The consulate is correct. You can simply show your father's proof of Italian citizenship and be granted recognition of your citizenship. As your kids are overage, they can choose to apply with you, stating that you, their parent and their grandfather are Italian citizens.
Tiffany

Re: Qualifying: Father became dual Italian citizen 14 years ago

Postby kellycares » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Dear Tiffany,
Thank you for clearing this up for me!
kellycares

Return to Qualifying