Translations in Seattle?

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Translations in Seattle?

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for translators in the Seattle area? I am looking at translating about 8 documents, and I hope to not pay too much. I was actually hoping to do them myself, but it seems that the San Francisco office only allows "official" translators.

Thanks for your help!
katy

Re: Translations in Seattle?

Postby Tiffany » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:31 pm

You can do them yourself. SF does not require official translators actually. They have recommended translators but you are not obliged to use them if you do not want to.
Tiffany

Postby katy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Tiffany,

Thanks for the help - that's great news! I just might save myself hundreds of dollars. :D Do you know why they would SAY they need official translations when that's not the case? Just wondering, since there seem to be more exceptions to the rules than rules themselves in this whole process!

Thanks again!
katy

Postby Tiffany » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:48 pm

The translator list they provide are just translators they recommended for convenience. I've also talked to the citizenship officer about this and as long as the translations are done accurately and cleanly (do not think you can hand write these) they should be fine. I applied jure matrimonis in February and my husband and I did the translations ourselves on our computer. The citizenship officer knew this too, and did not say we should have used an official translator. As long as the translations are accurate, there should not be a problem. The citizenship officer can tell at a glance whether or not this is the case and if there is a problem, she will tell you they need to be re-translated. We did have to correct a couple of ours as we had misunderstood the wording in the original document and translated it into Italian incorrectly because we did not understand the meaning. As Miss Stone sees these all the time, she knew what they actually meant and asked us to fix it. Our mistakes were minor though and if she does see major problems with yours, she might ask you to go with a translator who speaks Italian natively to avoid having to keep correcting them.

If you are talking about this line on the online document:
On our homepage, under “useful addresses”, you will find a list of professional translators in our jurisdiction. Ask for estimates, as fees vary from $30 to $350 per translation.

They are not telling you that one of these people are required to translate your documents, but that these people do translations professionally and you can contact them if you need help with your translations or if you are so inclined.

If it is this line you are worried about:
Birth, marriage, divorce certificates in languages other than Italian, relating to Italian born spouses and to you and your minor children must be professionally translated into Italian.

This just means that they must be accurate, typed and without error. Many people may not feel confident enough about their skills in this area to feel they can give an accurate translation and so they ask someone they feel is more competent. If you feel competent enough to give an accurate translation, by all means do so.
Tiffany

Postby katy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks Tiffany! That's really helpful. I think I can definitely take on these translations. Most of my documents are no longer than a page. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
katy

Return to Documents