Naturalization in Bronx County Supreme Court

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Naturalization in Bronx County Supreme Court

Postby ersk19 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Hello - I am just getting started on this process and was hoping for some advice. A family member located my great-grandfather's original certificate of naturalization, which dates from 1927 and was granted by the Supreme Court in Bronx County. I understand that I risk losing the original document if I submit it with my application so I would like to obtain a copy. Does anyone know where I am most likely to find this record? Should I contact the court directly or the Bronx County Archives? I have filed a request with USCIS but I've read that can be a long process. If I get a record from the court or county, do I need to get it certified in some way? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
ersk19

Re: Naturalization in Bronx County Supreme Court

Postby CPA21 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:36 am

If you have the book and page number you can obtain a court certified copy of the delcaration of intent, petitio, and oath of citizenship. The consulate will be happy to work with these documents.
CPA21

Postby federici1999 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Archivist
Send an e-mail with all the information to the new york archive. I believe its 18.00 for a copy certified and bound with a red ribbon. This is what I did I oreder 2 in cases the consulate wanted to keep one or it was lost in the process.
The National Archives and Records Administration

Northeast Region

201 Varick Street , 12th Floor

New York , NY 10014

(866) 840-1752 newyork.archives@nara.gov
federici1999

Postby CPA21 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Do the archives have the Bronx County Supreme Court filings?

I do not think so.

The court certified records should be available directly from the court. If your ancestor was naturalized between 1914 and 1952 you may use the link below to locate the records and then mail a request for the documents.

http://www.italiangen.org/default.htm
CPA21

Postby ersk19 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Thank you. This is very helpful.

I don't think my GGF is in the database. There is a "Ralph [surname]," which was his Americanized name, but the document my family has shows that his naturalization was granted in his Italian name, Raffaele.

I think I will submit the request form using the volume and document number that appear on our copy and see if that works. Will I then need to get the papers apostilled, since they are not issued by the federal government?

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by ersk19 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ersk19

Postby CPA21 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:21 pm

The documents (Declaration of Intent, Petition, and Oath of Allegiance) need the seal of the court on them. The documents do not need to be translated or apostilled.

If you are still concerned you can use the USCIS genealogy program to receive a copy of the certificate of naturalization. For the USCIS you need to provide the certificate of naturalization number.

Since you already have an original document this is really a "belt and suspenders"operation.
CPA21

Postby valentinaroan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Definitely go ahead and request the (certified) copies of the naturalization records. Just to clarify though, NARA on Varick St. does not have records from the Bronx Supreme Court; (I know so because my ggf naturalized in 1921 in the Bronx Supreme Court, and NARA did not have any record. However, I easily obtained them from the Bronx County Clerks Office.) Their contact info is here: http://bronxcountyclerksoffice.com/en/info/index.htm
I would recommend giving them a call if you have any questions; it turns out that my ggf's records were not even in their database, but they actually had them. All did was request that they do a search, and about half an hour later researcher called me back and said he had found them. I received the certified copies in the mail ten days later.
valentinaroan

Postby ersk19 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 am

Thank you so much! I just phoned the Bronx County Clerk's Office and they have the records! I will send away for them today.

I really appreciate everyone's helpful responses.
ersk19

Postby DoreenJoy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:36 pm

Just chiming in here that when I applied (granted in San Francisco, not New York) they didn't keep my GF's naturaliztion papers. They looked it over carefully, then kept a copy.
DoreenJoy

Return to Naturalization