Miami Consulate

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Miami Consulate

Postby JM » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:31 am

Has anyone applied to the Miami Consulate? If so, could you share your experience with the board?
Also, how long did it take you to get an appointment? Also, how did you go about getting a response from the consulate?
Thanks,
Jan
JM

Postby JMMalley » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:03 pm

Jan,

I'm asking the same questions. Once I get my paperwork in order, I'll be applying for citizenship through Miami as well, perhaps later this year. Good luck.

Regards,

Joe
JMMalley

Miami Consulate

Postby JM » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi Joe,

How far along in obtaining your paperwork are you? Have you had any luck getting in touch with the Miami consulate? I'm in Pinellas County Florida. I'll post to this board about my progess working with the Miami consulate, once that ever occurs. Let me know how things work out with you ok?

Best wishes,
Jan
JM

Postby ejd » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:01 pm

Everybody on this forum seems to be applying through New York, Philly, Chicago, Miami or San Francisco. I must be the only one left here applying through Detroit...
ejd

Postby Jim » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:12 pm

What's the situation with Detroit? Do you know how long it takes to get an appointment there? Also, do you know if they require the Certificate of Naturalization or if they'll accept the Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalization and Oath of Allegiance? Also, what time frame do they give for receiving your citizenship after handing in your documents.
Jim

Postby JMMalley » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:31 am

Jan,

I'm in DeLand, between Orlando and Daytona Beach. I wish Orlando had a consulate! I learned that my father was born before his father was naturalized, so I'm waiting for NARA to send me my grandafther's certificate of naturalization. I sent a letter to my grandfather's hometown of Settefrati requesting his birth certificate. Once I get those two pieces, I'll request the appropriate apostilles and make an appointment for Miami. Where are you in the process? I hope it goes well for you.

Cheers!

Joe
JMMalley

Postby Em » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:26 pm

Joe, NARA can send you the Petition, the Declaration of Intent, and the Oath, but you need to get the Naturalization Cert. from the INS through the FOIA. If this is what you need, you should request one asap. They are slow.
Em

Postby JMMalley » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Jan,

I started with the FOIA in April, no luck yet. NARA in Philly was my backup. When I called about my request for the certificate of naturalization, I was told it might take only 10 days(!). It is hoped one of them records services will come through. I'll believe it when I see it. So how goes your journey?

Joe
JMMalley

Postby JM » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Joe,

I have a photocopy of my grandfathers naturalization papers - my cousine has the original and won't part with it. I ordered it online via NARA for $16.00. But I got an email from the stating that they didn't have it on file and gave me the office that did. (In Staten Island NY)> I called that number and they said send $3.00 and will get it out to you the same day we get it, since I had a cert. number for them to look it up. That was yesterday, so we'll see how that goes. I have to get every document, as I don't have any. I've emailed, sent a letter, and faxed the Miami consulate to see if they will except some minor spelling changes. To date, I have not heard back from them. I guess they are short staffed. The only easy part so far was working with the state of Florida. I was able to get both my dad's death certificate and my marriage certificate ordered and apostilled at the same time. Everyone else has it going back to me and then back out to the Sec. of State. I think it will take me several months to get it all together. I haven't heard a word from Ronciglione, Italy about my grandparents documents. It's been just over one month. I'm trying to be optimistic but it seems we need so much to go through Miami, I wish I lived near by to it. Do you live near the consulate?
Jan
JM

Postby JM » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi Joe,

I see that you live in Deland, I know where that is. I agree Orlando would be closer for me too. The Miami Consulate covers alot of territory, too bad they don't add another consulate somewhere else in the central part of the state. Wishful thinking again...
Jan
JM

Postby Em » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:43 pm

Joe,
NARA will definitely come through, and quickly too. I would be surprised if you did not get it within two weeks. Did you request a certified copy?

The problem is, that, depending on your consulate, the NARA forms may not be accepted. They provide the Petitition for Naturalization, the Declaration of Intent, and the Oath of Allegience, but NOT the actual certificate.

My consulate accepts the NARA forms; I've heard that others specifically require the Certificate. So do some checking, and good luck.

Em
Em

Postby ejd » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:25 pm

Jim wrote:What's the situation with Detroit? Do you know how long it takes to get an appointment there? Also, do you know if they require the Certificate of Naturalization or if they'll accept the Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalization and Oath of Allegiance? Also, what time frame do they give for receiving your citizenship after handing in your documents.

Actually, I don't know yet. At the advice of the vice consulate in Cleveland, I've written a letter to Detroit along with copies of all my documents asking them if the documents are acceptable. I have a small problem. I qualify through my great grandfather, but they want my great grandmother's birth record from Italy. I've done thorough research and have written the comune, but it turns out that her birth wasn't recorded.

Anyway, the VC in Cleveland suggested I write them before I pay the money for apostilles on everything. He said that the Detroit consulate is flexible about things like this, but it would be best if I wrote them first. I'm still awaiting a reply.

I was hoping to find out more about Detroit from others. Perhaps in a way it's a good sign that there seem to be so few people applying through Detroit. It may mean their backlog is smaller...
ejd

Postby JMMalley » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 pm

Jan,

Good luck with the docs. You'll get there. I'm lucky in that my paternal grandparents were married and lived in my hometown, so my family could get most of the docs. However, New Castle is still years behind in technology. They can't locate my grandgather's CofN (boo). I haven't contacted Miami yet. Hang in there.

Joe
JMMalley

Postby JMMalley » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:17 pm

Em,

Thanks for the tip on the CofN. I guess I'll have to call the consulate in Miami and get the lowdown.

Regards,

Joe
JMMalley

Postby JMMalley » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:44 pm

Jan,

I just found this info online:

Vice Consolato Onorario ORLANDO
Loredana CONTE CECCHETTI
101 Cedar Point Lane - LONGWOOD, FL 32779
Tel.: (407) 869-9702

Others on this forum have said that vice consulates can be helpful, even if they can't make decisions. Orlando is much closer to us than Miami.

Cheers!

Joe
JMMalley

Next

Return to Embassies and Consulates