so confused - Do I qualify?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

so confused - Do I qualify?

Postby Nutella » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 pm

It seems like I don't, but at the same time It doesn't make sense to me..

My father and mother were born in Italy. My father came to the united states when he was like 13-14 with my Grandparents and I'm assuming now that somewhere down the line they became citizens. My father then returned to Italy and married my mother there and came to the united states with her. My grandparents on my mothers side remained in Italy. If my father married my mother in Italy I'm guessing she automatically became a US citizen? So now I'm born but when I'm born both of my parents were already US citizens. It must have been at least a few years after they were married since I have an older sister by 4 years. It would probably be best to use one of my grandparents on my mothers side, but my mother wasn't born in the US so therefore I don't qualify?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nutella

Re: so confused - Do I qualify?

Postby zagnut » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:01 am

I'd ask this over at http://www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/. Likely to get more responses there- this forum has become a spam magnet.
zagnut

Postby Monica » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:55 pm

what years were eeryone born
Monica

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Strongly second what zagnut. Most of us come onto this board sparingly, while we are regular over there.

I'll answer your question here, but not sure if I'll be back to respond to any questions you have as I don't check this board that often.

If your Mom married your Dad after 1922, then she did not automatically become a US citizen upon her marriage.

You really need to add dates of naturalization and birth for your parents and their parents to get a full answer. Your father's parents did not necessarily naturalize and thus your father may still be an Italian citizen. In addition, your mother may not have naturalized. She could have - 3 years after her marriage to your father if he was an US citizen at the time and if you were born both after 1948 and before her potential naturalization, then you would inherit it from her.

However, if you are certain that both of your parents had naturalized before your birth and their naturalization took place before August 15, 1992, then you are out of luck. You cannot skip generations - you must inherit Italian citizenship from a parent.
Tiffany

Return to Qualifying