Need Help!

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Need Help!

Postby cmortara » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:50 pm

I thought I qualified, but it turned out a misread my grandfather's naturalization certificate. Wondering if there is any other way I can qualify. Here is my background.

Dad's side (Born in USA 1940). My grandfather came from Italy was naturalized in 1926. My grandmother (born in USA 1909), her father was naturalized in 1911. I am assuming that since my dad was born before 1948, there is no way I qualify through him.

Mom's side (Born in USA 1948). My grandmother (Born in USA 1922), her father was naturalized in 1914. My grandfather (Born in USA 1912), his father was naturalized in 1907. Don't think I qualify can qualify here either.

Can anyone let me know if I am correct? Or if there is any other route I may try? It is a shame that all of my relatives come from Italy and I can't find a way to qualify. Thanks for all the help.
cmortara

Postby Em » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:06 pm

From the dates you give, it seems you are correct and that you do not qualify. :( All your Italian-born relatives naturalized before their children were born, and therein lies the problem.

It's three years of Italian residence that will get you your citizenship.

Just do a quick check of the date of your great-grandfather's naturalization. Was he actually naturalized in 1907 or did he just complete a petition? Your grandfather (on your mom's side) was born in 1912, and it takes a minimum of five years from petition to actual naturalization.
Em

Actually date of naturalization.

Postby cmortara » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:09 pm

Here's a quick question then, on the certificates of naturalization that I have there are two dates. The top date I assumed was the date that my relative received naturalization and the bottom date was the date that the certificate was written. Am I correct here? Or is the top date, the date they petitioned for naturalization, and the bottom date, the date they received naturalization. Can anyone help? I tried to get a straight answer from many sources here and was unable to. Thanks for again for the help.
cmortara

Postby Em » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:17 pm

Can't answer your specific question, but there is an easy way to find out. Call or visit the NARA office serving the area in which your relative was naturalized:

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/

With the certificate number, they can provide you with a copy of the Petition, Declaration of Intent, and Oath of Allegience. My grandfather's oath had the date of naturalization written on it.

If you visit their office, they can do this within an hour. They may be able to give you the information by telephone. You will certainly get the documents within two weeks.
Em

Postby Em » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:12 pm

I checked my husband's naturalization papers, and only one date was given (this was considerably more recent, however, than the ones you are talking about).

If one date is the petition date, it should be, at minimum, five years earlier than the date of actual naturalization.
Em

Return to Qualifying