adopted by stepfather confused about docs! please help!!

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

adopted by stepfather confused about docs! please help!!

Postby nmecion » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:26 pm

In my research of documents needed I came across something i wanted to ask that came up. My mother was married in 1979, gave birth to me in 1981 and then was divorced in 1983, and remarried in 1986, her second husband then legally adopted me, and I received a new birth certificate with his name on it as my father. When it asks for my fathers birth certificate or any divorce records do I have to show my biological fathers and my parents divorce papers or just my newly issued birth certificate after the adoption went through. I had heard that they want to make sure no children were born out of wedlock I do not know if this is accurate information or not, but if so my mother WAS married when i was born but her second marriage certificate will say that she was married after I was born (since her second husband is not my biological father) i hope this makes sense i am trying to explain as best I can. Any input would be great! I know i need a fathers birth certificate but dont know whose this would require.......

thanks so much
nicoletta
nmecion

Re: adopted by stepfather confused about docs! please help!!

Postby RomaBound » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:12 pm

My understanding is that, in or out of wedlock, simply does not pertain to the equation. Either you are of Italian blood, or you are not.

What lineage are you looking at - your mother's, your natural father's, or your stepfather's?
RomaBound

Postby schijf » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Please keep in touch with me on this. I have the exact same issue. The consulate told me that you cannot use an adoped name, you have to use your birth name, but that is not the CORRECT NAME and it is all so confusing. If you find out anything can you please email me and let me know, or please keep in contact with me (send me your email address so if I find out anything I will let you know) THANK YOU, Christine at roadrunnersinutah@msn.com.
schijf

Postby nmecion » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Hello

I am glad someone has the same issue. I have tried to contact the consulate on this issue but have not been able to get an answer. I even paid for a consultation with an outside agency and still did not get an answer. I am applying in new york, is that where you are as well? I am going through my great grandfather - grandmother - mother. So the adoption is on the non italian side. BUT my birth name is not my legal name ! AND my original birth certificate stating my biological fathers last name is sealed and you cannot access it without a court order. Did you ask the consulate and they told you you have to go by your birth name? That makes no sense !!!! When my mother got remarried my biological father gave up his rights to my me and my step father adopted me. To get my biological fathers birth certificate seems like a moot point. Here is my email address nmecion@gmail.com . I will ABSOLUTLEY keep you posted and you do the same. Hopefully someone on the message board will be able to help as well .

Nicolette
nmecion

Postby softouch115 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 am

Hi all! I am applying through Miami and this is what they told me about my adoption. First let me say my birth father (non-italian side) passed away when I was 7. My mom re-married and I was adopted by my step-dad when I was 16 and got a new birth certificate. My mom and I are applying together and she needs the following in reference to her marriages:
First marriage certificate (husband deceased)
Second marriage certificate (current husband)

I need:
Current (not ORIGINAL) Birth certificate (long form)

I was told that I do NOT need adoption papers. However, I imagine the situation would be different if my father was italian in the direct lineage.
Hope this helps someone!
softouch115

Postby nmecion » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:00 pm

thanks so much for the info!!

the adoption is NOT in my italian side either so hopefully i will not need the adoption papers. I know i do need the divorce records though. I have to try to track down a long form for my new birth certificate - i am thinking the one they sent is not it. my original birth certificate is sealed.
nmecion

Postby azsumrg1rl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 pm

If you were legally adopted, your birth certificate was reissued and will show your adopted parent as the appropriate parent. There will be no reference to the biological parent that the adopted parent replaced. (In fact, the original birth certificate showing the biological parent is sealed and often very difficult to get, even with a court order.) This is why the adoption papers are not necessary.

However, I suspect that if the biological parent was the Italian parent, then the adoption papers would be required to show that the you are truly related (since there wouldn't be a vital record that showed the biological parent). Make sense?
azsumrg1rl

Postby nmecion » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:41 am

yes!! thank you so much!! glad i am not going through my biological father!! that all makes sense, it is sealed so I guess it does not even matter that i had another name previously. Lets hope this ok, october is getting close!!

soooo exciting!!

thanks so much
nmecion

Postby softouch115 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 am

I just went through this exact situation in Miami on March 31st. My birth father (non-italian) passed away when I was 7. My mom (italian) re-married, and step-dad adopted me. I was issued a new birth certificate, the adoption was sealed (as they always are).
Miami originally (before my appointment) said I didn't need the adoption record. When I got there, however, Virginia said I would need to submit my adoption record "to justify to the italian authorities why I was born 7 years BEFORE my parents were married". Fortunately my mother saved the certified adoption record, and NJ apostilled it for me! My advice: Have it when you go. It will save you time.
softouch115

Postby nmecion » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:51 am

I have the adoption record. Should I make a copy of it I only have 1 I think, or do they need the original. I also have to have it apostilled? Yes, very true my birth certificate will say I was born 4 years before my parents were married.

Thanks for the help
nmecion

Postby nmecion » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:12 pm

also should i have it translated?
nmecion

Return to Documents