HELP! I just got started!!

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

HELP! I just got started!!

Postby beachgirl76 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi Everyone! I am so excited to find a blog site like this. I thought I was alone in this process but I guess not!!

After getting onto the Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles (my closest consulate) I have figured out that I need to prove my great grandfather was either not a naturalized citizen or naturalized after my grandfather was born. I am almost positive he was never naturalized before he died but I know I must prove it. The website is somewhat confusing and I read that it will take forever for a response if I email them any questions.

So my question is... Can anyone give me advice or information on what exact documents I need if it comes back "No Record" with the USCIS, NARA and the county court?

Thank you SO much for any help you can give me!!

Laura
beachgirl76

Re: HELP! I just got started!!

Postby CPA21 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:56 pm

USCIS has a genealogy program that will produce any citizenship documents of your GGF. Start with them. If they have a naturalization date that works for you it is a good start. If they have no record you will need to request a certificate of nonexistence.

Alternatively your GGF may have naturalized before your Gf was born. In that case you are out of luck.

Once you are comfortable with that aspect of teh process you must collect any number of Birth, Marriage, and death certificates, all long form, all apostilled, and the ones going to Italy translated.

Good luck with your quest. It took me three years!
CPA21

Re: HELP! I just got started!!

Postby beachgirl76 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks for your advice CPA! Three years sounds like a long time but I'm sure it's worth it! :D
beachgirl76

Return to Qualifying