1000 and 1 questions!

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

1000 and 1 questions!

Postby capitul » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:35 pm

Okay, here is a whammy of questions:

In NY, you get the birth records and then you have to get a letter of exemplification. Once that is obtained, you must go to the county clerk and have it approved/verified. From there, you may go and get the apostille. I've heard marriage records are a different process? Please enlighten me....

Now, another issue - if they don't find somebody's birth record, how can you get a "delayed registration"? Also, how do you make corrections to a birth record? Also, if you were to try and use that "no record" as proof (as I read previously on this forum) would you have to get that apostilled? How the hell would you do that?

These are all for NYC and NYS documents.

Finally, do you need translations and apostilles for the people on the maternal side if you are claiming through your great grandfather, grandfather, father, and yourself? Or, would I just need xlations and apostilles for the men (and their marriage certificates)?

Whew!

Thanks.
capitul

Postby Em » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:31 pm

I'll do my best. :lol:

When you request a birth certificate, specify that it must be suitable for apostille. It will have the letter of exemplification attached when it is sent to you. My grandfather's marriage certificate had one as well, but my own marriage certificate did not. Apparently the more recent certificates to not come with one, but the process is the same.

You can notarize and apostille in person or by mail. If you are doing so in Manhattan, the two offices are within walking distance of each other. The notary is in the Court House on Centre Street (basement). Once your documents are notarized, you can walk down to Williams Street for an apostille. I believe the notary cost is $3 and the apostille is $10. The marriage certificates follow the same process although they are issued through a different office.

I'm not sure how you deal with the "no record" issue, but corrections to birth certificates often require a court order (I'm referring specifically to name changes.) I needed to change the name on my birth certificate, and was required to obtain a legal name change, which I did in my home state. This is not a difficult process, but it is annoying and can be costly. With the court and publication fees, I estimate that it cost me approximately $450.

Delayed registration of birth may be more difficult in NY than is some other places--most everything is. Go to the Dept. of Health website:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/vr/vrbappl.shtml

You can request information by e-mail, and I found that they do respond.

Since you are applying through the paternal line, you will only need documents for the male line beginning with your great grandfather. The only documents pertaining to the female line, are the marriage certificates. NY will not require birth, and death certificates for your female ancestors. BTW, in NY, no translations are required.
Em

Postby capitul » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:52 pm

Thank you for the heads up thus far. Definitely appreciate it.

Just to clarify:

I am not applying thru NY - I am applying thru Miami. My whole family is from NY, though, so that is where I have to get all the documents from. Kinda ****. :-)

Also, the differences in name are also the same issue with the no records found. As I've mentioned in another thread, I have a Certificate of Birth from 1908 for my grandfather. NY says this is too old to get the letter of exemption and stamp from the county clerk, which are necessary for apostille. I did a search for the birth record and got the no results found letter. Now, the old certificate from 1908 is spelled Frianzesco Murano instead of Franceso Morano.
capitul

Postby Em » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:57 am

Capitul, are you saying that you have the original birth certificate but that your NY search indicates that "no records are found"?

If that's the case, I would suggest that you ask NY to do the search. You can do this by letter (and send them a copy of the certificate) or, if there is a number on the certificate, you can request it with that number.

The reason you cannot get a letter of exemplification with a certificate that old, is that the letter, in effect, states that the information on the certificate is accurate. In 2006, there is no way for NY to ascertain that the signature on a document a century old is legitimate. Usually, they will not provide this service for a document issued more than a year past. So actually you are requesting a certified copy of an original document.

Then you sit patiently and wait for NY to find it. I waited for what seemed forever for NY to locate my own birth certificate because it was issued so long ago and was not in their computerized files. :( I expect that the same will hold true for your grandfather's birth certificate.

I doubt that the name discrepancy will cause you much difficulty. It is an obvious error.
Em

Postby capitul » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:26 pm

I did a search through NY and they are the ones who furnished the No Record Found letter. I have been working with them to find this document for the past few days (I called them up - the woman has been looking quite diligently, I'll say). It just is not pulling up anywhere. I'm wondering if it got destroyed or if it was filed under a different year (even though the one I have was infact filed in 1905). I really haven't any idea at this point. Not sure what to do if they can't find it. I asked about the delayed registration and she said it would not be able to be done.
capitul

Postby capitul » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:27 pm

update: in a surprising turn of events, I was told today that they found the record of birth! Hooray! Hopefully the misspelling of hte last name (murano instead of morano) doesn't mess things up. :-D Now if I could only get in touch with somebody at the damn consulate to try and schedule an appointment! grrrrrr.
capitul

Return to Documents